some_text

OOP Board Games

by Amy OBrien on March 6, 2013

OOP, how can I explain it… Well, its quite simple.  It stands for Out Of Print, and in this article, I’m referencing board games.  It wasn’t too long ago, I was shopping at Goodwill, and I happened to run into a 1992 board game that was based off of the hit TV show, “Full House”.  I almost passed it up but something told me to check the completed listings on ebay, and I’m glad I did!  Of course, buying this from a thrift shop, I had no idea if all of the pieces were in there.  Lucky for me, they were!  I bought this game for only $2 and sold it for $50 to the right buyer.  Fast forward six months, or so, I was again shopping at GW and I found a Batman Monopoly board game.  This time I felt like I hit the jack pot!

Shopping for out of print board games can be fun, and the best part is, you really don’t need to know what you are looking for.  For me, I just thought that the Batman Monopoly board game looked different enough for me to check it out.  I had never seen this product before, but as it turns out, it’s worth almost $70.  Even if I didn’t have all of the pieces, I could have sold the parts for almost $60.

I rely heavily on ebays completed listings, but I also take a look at a website that displays top OOP board games.  I feel like this gives me an idea of what to look for when I’m shopping for ebay inventory.  The website is called “Board Game Geek” and it can be found HERE.

Also, a board game doesn’t have to be OPP to be worth money.  Like I mentioned before, you can resell game pieces to someone who may have lost theirs over the years.  Lets take a look at some of my favorite games to buy and resell:

1. Scrabble – You can sell the wood pieces to “crafters”.
  2. Themed Monopoly – Batman, Godfather, Beatles, etc.
  3. Any Star Wars game - The Queen’s Gambit would be a nice find.
  4. Any vintage game is worth taking a look at.

When it comes to board games, don’t be surprised if you research quite a few before you find a home run.  There are many out there that are worthless on the ebay market, but it only takes that “one” to keep you searching for more.  Have you ever sold an OPP board game?  If so, comment below and let us know what it was!

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Margaret March 6, 2013 at 9:57 am

Last summer I picked up a brand new sealed 1986 Jitters game that I just accepted a best offer of $32. I bought it at a garage sale for $1. I love selling board games and am always on the lookout for interesting games!

Thanks for sharing.

Margaret @ Live Like No One Else

Larry March 6, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Tristen,

Great post and very happy to see you posting again. Welcome back! There are a ton of games in the GW’s in my area so I will BOLO but how do you use the Board Game Geek site to help identify potential winners? The site appears to be very busy and loaded with content which makes it a little difficult to navigate.

Tristen OBrien March 7, 2013 at 10:20 am

You’re right, Larry. The Board Game Geek site is very busy. I just to to find forum posts that identify profitable board games. Here is that I’ve seen in the past:

Don March 6, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Like you said, themed Monopoly games can sell well. The Scrabble sets, though, are a nice find and sale. You can usually find them for $1 to $4 at yard sales, rummage and estate sales. I save up the sets until I have a four or five sets (which are 400 to 500 tiles) and then sell it as a lot. Crafters seem to like the ones from the 40′s and 50′s the most, but they buy all of them. The rails don’t sell for much, but I still sell those so that they don’t go to waste. I see some board lots up on eBay, but they don’t fetch much and are too expensive to ship, so I usually just pitch those.

Jenny March 7, 2013 at 10:17 am

First of all, Tristan, I must say that I am so glad that I found this website! You have been a blessing to me and my family. As you probably know, I signed up for your membership, and it really got the ball rolling, so thank you for that. I also attended one of your online training classes, and that helped out SO MUCH! Secondly, I love to sell board games. I have always been addicted to them as a child, so searching for board games at thrift shops and garage sales is really fun for me! Thanks for what you do.

Tina Smith March 7, 2013 at 11:55 am

It’s nice to know that even if every part isn’t there you can still sell it. Our local GW has shelves for games but I never bothered with them cause I figured parts was missing. Wouldn’t it be hard to know which pieces are missing exactly? I don’t know if that makes sense or not. :)

Those of you who have shipped board games……how did you do it? If you shipped the whole box, did you put that in another box or did you wrap it in the bubble wrap and brown paper? What’s the proper way to ship a big game box?

Thanks!

Susan March 28, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I purchased and resold a copyright 1967 Uncle Wiggily children’s board game last fall – seems like I paid around $3 and sold around $24. Don’t have the records right here with me. Loved the Uncle Wiggily stories myself as a child, and I’ve been on the lookout for the books for a long time. The game was a pain to ship due to the size of the box; I just used a lot of lightweight filler to cushion it inside the shipping box.

I like your idea of “parting out” games! That would make for simpler shipping.

Liz glitter*in*her*veins April 6, 2013 at 1:15 am

Interestingly enough I ran across an old Milton Bradley Ouija Board about a year ago. Purchased it at GW on a 1/2 off Saturday special for about $4. Ended up re-selling it on eBay for $30. Not a bad find.

Judy Lanskey September 3, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Some of the Civilization board games go for big bucks (especially the Advanced Civilization). Likewise for the vintage Milton Bradley Battle-Cry (Civil War game).