Whether you are a new eBayer or someone who has been selling for years, I’m sure you have had to track down a package or two. If you haven’t ran into this problem before, then you will sometime in your eBay career. This may sound scary, but really it’s not. In most cases, all you have to do is provide your tracking number to USPS and they will track it down for you. Most buyers understand that this happens, so there rarely is any type of dispute. Shipping internationally may be a little bit scarier to the casual seller, but if you really want to start making some sales, the international is the way to go.
For some reason, Brazil has a bad rap. It could be all of the “lost” packages that have been sent there, or the time it takes to actually get through customs. One of eBays core values states that “People are good”, and it 99% of the case, this is true. A little while ago, I sent 500 baby bottles over to Brazil with no problem, but every once and a while I get a buyer who says that they did not receive the item. In most cases the package is not lost, but it is just taking a long time for the item to arrive. I make sure to set the expectation upfront that the package may take 5-6 weeks (if you are shipping First Class International) and up to 3 weeks (if you are shipping Priority USPS). This helps with customer satisfaction.
What about the customers who claim that they really did not receive the item after the recommended wait time frame? Are they scamming you, or is the package really lost? I have a great way to check on your item, even after it leaves the country! This method has already saved me three different times, and my wallet thanks me.
If you are shipping outside the U.S. then you are required to fill out a customs declaration form. This form has a tracking number on the side, and can be used to track the package inside the United States. So, what about when the package is in Brazil? Well, here are the steps to prove that your package was delivered.
- The first step is to go to the Brazil postal service website found HERE
- You will notice that this website is not in English, so on the right, there is a box that says ”Rastreamento de objetos”. This is where you are going to put in your tracking number from the customs declaration form.
- You will now see the tracking of the package, however, it’s still not in english. So, open up another browser and go to a Portuguese to English translator HERE
- Go back to the tracking, and under the “situação” section, highlight and copy the top set of words.
- Go back to the translation page, and paste it in. This should tell you if the package has been delivered or where the package is.
Most people are good, and they aren’t trying to scam you, but this is a great way to make sure your item was arrived if an eBay Case is opened up for the item not being delivered. Currently, Brazil has the most cases opened for items not being received, so use this tool if you ever are in this situation.
Today’s Top Find of the Day can bring you in a $42 profit! If you are already a Membership Member then sign in to see what it is! If not, sign up HERE